The Dosan Ahn Changho submarine approaches Esquimalt Harbour near Victoria, B.C., on Saturday.Chad Hipolito/The Globe and Mail
Korean submarine Dosan Ahn Changho sailed into Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt on Saturday morning, kicking off a series of ceremonies and a joint exercise with the Canadian Navy as Ottawa gets closer to picking a winner in its historic submarine procurement.
The maker of the brand-new submarine, South Korea’s Hanwha, is one of two finalists, alongside Germany’s TKMS, in competition to win the contract to build up to 12 new diesel-electric submarines for Canada.
The flag of South Korea flies aboard the Dosan Ahn Changho submarine.Chad Hipolito/The Globe and Mail
While the arrival of the submarine in Canada is part of a joint military exercise, Glenn Copeland, chief executive officer of Hanwha Defence Canada, said the company is glad to have the vessel here at such a critical time in the procurement process.
“We’ve been at this for a while. We wanted the sub to come over here,” he said. “We’re going to take advantage of the timing, the fact that the submarine is here, and we’re quite happy to get that promoted.”
Earlier in May, the two companies made their final pitches to Ottawa, after the federal government extended its bidding process to entice each company to sweeten their offers, which they submitted before a March 2 deadline.
A few weeks later, on March 25, the Dosan Ahn Changho departed the Jinhae Naval Base in South Korea to begin its 14,000-kilometre trip across the Pacific Ocean, with stops to refuel in Guam and Hawaii. Two Canadian submariners, Lieutenant-Commander Britany Bourgeois and Petty Officer 2nd Class Jake Dixon, joined the Korean crew in Hawaii on May 7. Six more Canadians will be aboard when it departs.
South Korean, German bidders make final pitches on Canadian sub deal
A lack of rust and an abundance of space were the main differences Lt.-Comm. Bourgeois observed between Canada’s current feet of Victoria-class submarines and the Korean submarine. Only one of Canada’s four Victoria-class submarines is operational. The other three are under repair.
“Being on a newer submarine really opened our eyes to the possibilities of what we have in store. What really hits home is that Canada needs new submarines,” said Lt.-Comm. Bourgeois, who’s been a submariner for 10 years.
Petty Officer Dixon added, “It’s kind of like buying a brand-new Tesla and then you’re coming out of a ’99 Honda Civic.”
Petty Officer Jake Dixon and Lieutenant-Commander Britany Bourgeois greet Lim Ki-mo, the Korean ambassador to Canada, at CFB Esquimalt on Saturday.Chad Hipolito/The Globe and Mail
While aboard, Lt.-Comm. Bourgeois said the pair of Canadians had the chance to learn and develop their unique skillsets as submariners. For her, that’s naval warfare. For Petty Officer Dixon, it’s electrical systems.
Petty Officer Dixon also had the chance to develop his spice tolerance, he said, with the chef onboard preparing several specialties such as Galbi, a braised short ribs dish.
Together, Petty Officer Dixon and Lt.-Comm. Bourgeois are two of about 200 submariners currently serving in the Canadian Armed Forces. But 200 won’t be nearly enough to operate the country’s growing fleet.
Rear-Admiral David Patchell, Commander of Maritime Forces Pacific and Joint Task Force Pacific, said that number must grow to 1,000.
“Is it a challenge? Absolutely, but it’s also an opportunity,” he said. “We’re seeing incredible uptick in recruiting. In our naval experience program, one third of them are selecting submarines.”
With fewer barriers to entry, military enlistment is higher than it’s been in decades
Once the federal government picks a winner in its submarine procurement, Rear-Adm. Patchell said the navy will construct its crews to align with the timeline of the delivery of the much-needed vessels.
“We have operated submarines for over 100 years, but we have never truly been a submarine nation. But with 12 modern submarines, Canada will be a submarine nation.”
Dosan Ahn Changho crew members await a group photo after their arrival in Canada.Chad Hipolito/The Globe and Mail